Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Walk

I walked home today. That’s certainly not something I deserve a medal for I realize. Typically when I walk home it’s at a hurried pace. You’d be surprised to find out that even in this sleepy Kentucky town how fast the pace really is. Perhaps it’s the anticipation of a semester’s end or the upcoming holiday season. I’m not sure which. None the less, I walked home today. At first I began at my usual frantic pace but something from within told me to slow down. So I did. It’s November. Most of the leaves have fallen and the temperature should be around 40 degrees. It’s not. The clouds cover the earth like a soft blanket and the air is warm and soothing. I tried to breathe it in. About halfway across campus I noticed one lone tree with its leaves still hanging on. I wish you could have been there to see it. They were fiery red. I imagined the story of Moses trying to picture in my head exactly what that would have been like to see a bush consumed by fire but not burning. Amazing. The tree that is. Each leaf was brilliantly on display for one last breathtaking look before the settling of winter. One last hurrah before this little sap bid us goodnight. I’ll miss them. At least I pray I will remember to miss them. The walk home was virtually uneventful. I said hello to several other pedestrians. I was passed by a jogger who made me feel a bit guilty for not working out since I returned home. Oh well. I am thankful. Thankful for the gift of breathe and life. Thankful for the time God has given me. Thankful for His ever presence in my life. Thankful that He has given me eyes to see and ears to hear. I am blessed.

Comments:
aye, gratefulness...
I'm glad you walked home instead.
 
Adam, you make me feel as if I was standing there with you admiring the red leaves. Our time with you at Thanksgiving was too short. I love you and miss you...mom
 
so where you walking home so quick because of your finals calender I heard about?

Yeah, the walks in wilmore are some of the greatest form of personal worship I have ever really seen. I just hope they don't find a way to put it on a CD. I like our little town.w
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?